Tutor Job Description
A tutor is someone who works with a student on a friendly, one-to-one basis with the objective of improving the student’s literacy skills.
- Be 19 years of age or older.
- Have patience and a sense of humour.
- Have a minimum secondary school level of education and be able to function within the English language with ease.
- Respect the confidentiality of the learner.
- Attend some type of Tutor Training session.
To the Learner
- Be available at times and locations agreeable to both parties and let the learner know if changes must be made.
- Demonstrate a willingness to commit to regular hours of tutoring.
- Prepare lessons and materials ahead of time.
- Monitor the learner’s progress, and work with the learner to achieve her/his literacy goals.
- Use supplemental materials to enhance the learner’s literacy skills.
To the agency
- Maintain annual membership with Literacy Nipissing. (may be revised to reflect changing policies)
- Provide suggestions, feedback and other information important to serving our learners.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures.
Support from Literacy Nipissing
How We Help You:
- Provide a network of experienced tutors, learners and staff offer support, suggestions and guidance.
- Provide use of office equipment outside of tutoring hours.
- Provide free coffee and snacks